Apartment Maintenance Technician
Job Title: Apartment Maintenance Technician
Company: First Company Maintenance
Location: Bloomington-Normal, IL
Reports To: Apartment Division Maintenance Director
Assists the apartment complex with general maintenance duties including an emphasis on quality and preventative maintenance. Repairs and maintains apartment complex’s physical plant in accordance with company standards for quality, cleanliness, tenant satisfaction, safety, and security.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist Maintenance Director with organizing and prioritizing service requests, and ensure that service requests and repairs are made correctly and timely.
- Assist Maintenance with overseeing turn-key operations and ensuring that vacant units are made rent-ready in a timely manner. Perform turn-key work as required.
- Assist Maintenance Director with maintaining property inventory of supplies and tools sufficient for providing service and maintaining the property. Purchase supplies as required using standard purchase order systems and proper bidding procedures.
- Assist Maintenance Director with maintaining a preventative maintenance program that minimizes emergency repairs and service requests and the utilization of outside contractors.
- Adhere to Company safety programs, policies, and procedures. Assist the Maintenance Director with maintaining the hazard communications program. Teach and promote safe work practices among on-site staff.
- Participate in Company training classes as required.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- All other tasks as assigned by the supervisor not listed as essential functions.
Scope of Responsibility:
- Perform preventative maintenance as directed.
- Resolve maintenance issues quickly and effectively.
- Maintain pool cleanliness and proper chemical levels.
- Maintains a favorable working relationship with all other company employees.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Some weekend coverage may be required (rotation of weekends on call)
- Ability to convey information and ideas clearly
- Ability to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately
- Ability to work well in stressful, high-pressure situations
- Basic working knowledge of plumbing, painting, HVAC, electrical, and general repair skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- The ability to deal effectively with vastly diverse groups of people and tenants.
- Required: High School Diploma/GED
- Required: General Maintenance
- Preferred: Major appliances, painting/ plumbing, electrical, HVAC, general carpentry.
Required: Valid driver’s license and insurance
Preferred: HVAC, EPA certificates for Freon recycling.
- Position requires individuals to furnish their own vehicle to transport tools and supplies around the property. Persons must be able to drive the vehicle without jeopardizing the safety of residents, co-workers, and others.
- Position requires individuals to be able to use general maintenance equipment including, but not limited to, hand tools, ladders, Freon recovery units, landscaping equipment, and required safety equipment.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction
- Must be able to frequently walk and climb/descend stairs approximately 50% of the time.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, use of small repair tools.
- Position requires the ability to transport or move up to 60 pounds variable distances; the mobility and flexibility to use ladders and to access and work in confined spaces and at heights in excess of 8 feet. Ability to personally perform general maintenance repair tasks without endangering themselves or others.
- Ability to periodically kneel, crawl, and twist torso as needed to accomplish required tasks.
- Ability to perform duties with extreme temperature and noise ranges
- Ability to see within normal parameters
- Ability to hear within a normal range
- Ability to move about
This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.