Assistant General Manager
Job Title: Assistant General Manager
Location: Bloomington, IL
Reports To: General Manager
Schedule: Hours will vary but will be different from the General Manager’s and will include evenings and weekends
Under the direction of the General Manager, the Assistant General Manager is responsible for managing property operations on a day to day basis to assure optimum performance and continual improvement in the Seven Key Result Areas (guest service, employees, housekeeping, maintenance, accounting and controls, property appearance, and profit/financial control). Coordinates, directs and manages the staff and everyday hotel operations to achieve profitability and efficiency while maintaining standards set by the company assuring 100% guest satisfaction.
- Demonstrates and promotes a 100% commitment to providing the best possible experience for our guests and employees.
- Complete weekly walkthroughs with General Manager of public areas, guest rooms, back of house.
- Inspects and documents, repairs and cleanliness of the property with the Chief Engineer and Executive Housekeeper to ensure optimum upkeep and repair, room cleanliness and overall property appearance.
- Attends all staff and departmental meetings.
- Walks hotel to ensure areas are clean and maintained.
- Be in public areas during peak business times to assist in improved customer assistance.
- Works in tandem with General Manager on all duties listed in description. Further dissemination of direct duties may occur upon General Manager/Assistant General Manager discussions on strengths and efficiencies.
- Responsible for maximizing revenues and flow through to GOP to meet or exceed budgeted EBITDA.
- Responsible to assist in preparation of property budget and forecasts in overseen areas.
- Assist in managing labor standards and property level expenses to achieve maximum flow through to the bottom line profit.
- Explains and manages financial activities. Reconciles areas of responsibility of financial accounts.
- Monitors collection of in-house guest balances, direct bill receivables, commission payments by vendors, and issuance of refund checks.
- Participates in and monitors monthly inventory of supplies and equipment. Ensures purchases made are within budget and by approved vendors.
- Works with Director of Sales to manage all sales activities of the property and meet revenue objectives as it pertains to Rooms Division.
- Sets goals, completes competitive surveys, takes reservations and compiles reports.
- Maintains relationships with local companies and key people to increase DoubleTree visibility within the local market.
- Promotes 100% guest satisfaction throughout the property. Instills the 100% guest satisfaction objective to departmental and hourly associates.
- Ensures that all guest related issues are resolved in a manner consistent with the company’s goals and objectives.
- Ensures responses from departments to all Salt Positive and Negative items daily.
- Sign up for and complete all Rooms Division, Revenue Management and R&I training.
- Ensure all Rooms Department is up to date with selling strategies.
- Recruits qualified applicants.
- Trains employees in accordance with company standards.
- Motivates and gives direction to all employees.
- Communicates all policies and procedures to entire staff.
- Assist in conducting regular meetings to provide various information including company communications, policy reviews, local property activities, goals, etc.
- Adheres to federal, state and local employment laws and regulations.
- Manages employee personnel forms, including hiring, performance evaluations, payroll and benefits related information, required Federal and State postings, etc.
- Utilizes Empower Software for applicant recruitment and employee management.
- Follows ALL Human Resources procedures with the help of the HR Department and the Employee Handbook.
- Conducts coaching/counseling sessions; performance evaluations; prepares performance improvement plans, disciplinary documentations; conducts terminations in conjunction with the General Manager.
- Ensures that employee related issues are resolved in a manner consistent with company policies.
- Mentors and develops Departmental Managers; provides learning opportunities by assigning new tasks in all Areas Management, evaluates Rooms Department’s strengths and weaknesses and provides training and on the job tasks to prepare all Rooms Manager’s opportunities.
- Performs duties in all aspects of hotel operations whenever needed.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as requested and assigned (i.e. special guest requests).
- Adheres to all Federal, State, and Corporate policies in all functions.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Thorough knowledge of the hotel, services and amenities available.
- Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism at all times.
- Operate with a high degree of autonomy, requiring excellent time management skills and self-motivation.
- Ability to motivate employees and give clear directions.
- Ability to serve as Manager-On-Duty.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects, prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to provide relief or back-up duties as needed at the hotel including front desk coverage, housekeeping, and other duties to ensure the optimum operation of the property.
Ability to exchange routine information in an appropriate manner. Ability to read and speak the English language and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one on one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. Ability to effectively communicate professionally with guests, associates, supervisors, and others as required for optimum operation of the property. Conversational Spanish would be beneficial.
Required: High School Diploma
Preferred: College Degree in Sales, Business or Hospitality
Basic knowledge of computers and software including ability to use e-mail, word processing, and spreadsheet software.
Minimum of five years related hospitality management experience.
Licenses or Certificates:
No specific requirements.
All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance.
Additional language ability preferred.
- Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard
- Ability to see within normal parameters
- Ability to hear within normal range
This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.